Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

2003 Toyota Corolla - check engine code is 440? my friend

Customer Question

2003 Toyota Corolla - check engine code is 440?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: my friend used a scan tool, I do believe
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, My friend is an expert - but he will tell me if he is unable to handle it, and I will take it to my mechanic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don I don't think so
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

The P0440 was the only code present? No other codes set along with it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
this was the only code
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

Ok. Great. Thank-you. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... be right back...

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for holding!

The P0440 is set when there is a leak in the EVAP System or the Vapor Pressure Sensor has failed. So, first and foremost, check the fuel cap. Make sure the cap is tight and sealing correctly. Check the underside of the fuel cap for any cracks or signs of defects that may keep the cap from sealing correctly. If there are any doubts about the inspection of the cap, replace it. Keep in mind, you will need a cap that meets OE Specs. Those "universal" or "locking" fuel caps sold at after market parts stores do not meet OE specs, and will not seal the system correctly.

If you are certain the cap is good, then next step should be to have the EVAP System "smoked". This is where a machine forces smoke through the system and any leaks can be more easily found and repaired.

If the smoke test proves no leaks, then the problem lies in the vapor pressure sensor. It's located at the top of the fuel tank, mounted to the top of the fuel pump assembly. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires before replacing the sensor.

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay. I notice my account has been charged $24---which I was aware would happen. However, I Definitely do not want to be charged again next month and need to know how to prevent any further charges on this unless I get in trouble with the car again and need assistance
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately, I have no control over billing what so ever. I am simply a "user" just like yourself. The website connects question asking users with question answering users and they handle everything in between. If you have a billing question, you will need to contact customer service. There should be a link at the bottom of the page. They're really good over at customer service! They'll take good care of you!

And please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page before you go! Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this Q&A was still open uld do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Any other info I can provide that may better assist?