Barry Sergeant
Barry Sergeant,
Experience:  General Manager at All Things Automotive LLC
98824362

I have the red triangle on my 2006 prius and the following

Hello, I have the red triangle on my 2006 prius and the following codes P3000 (123), p3023, and C1241 (I think this is bogus and related to the other codes.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: I've reset them 2. The codes are P3000 (with information subcode of 123), and P3023. There are a couple of traction control codes C1241, C1310
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I might. I haven't tried anything yet as this happened on my way to a client site 200 miles away. I have the techstream app and pulled the codes and just trying to find a diagnostic chart.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really. I just want to make sure that it really is a dead battery before I have it replaced.

Hi, my name is Barry. Welcome to Just Answer. I would be happy to help you with your Prius.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, based upon my description are there some diagnostic tests that I can do to figure out exactly what is causing the error codes?

The P3000 and P3023 are for the battery pack. You can remove the pack from the vehicle and remove the cover. Then you can use a DVM to test the DC voltage of each cell. Be careful the pack has around 300 volts and it is possible to get shocked badly. Please do not attempt this if you are not trained on working with high voltage electronics. When you test the cells you will find that one or more batteries are significantly lower than the others. They are the bad cells. I used to rebuild these battery pack by replacing the bad cells with know good used ones from ebay. But you will end up pulling it again and again to replace more cells as they all begin to die.

I would test and repair/replace the pack if found to be bad. I believe this will fix all of your codes including the C1241 &C1310.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
On the tech stream I can read the individual battery packs and obtained the following:
Volts Difference
16.36 -0.03
16.39 0.00
16.33 -0.06
16.36 -0.03
16.4 0.01
16.45 0.06
16.32 -0.07
16.37 -0.02
16.33 -0.06
16.44 0.05
16.41 0.02
16.47 0.08
16.5 0.11
Average 16.39
Would these differences be enough to cause the error?

Those voltages are the combination of 2 battery pairs. They generally will not show the weak battery because the other battery in the pack brings its voltage up. If you want to be sure of the bad cell they need to be tested individually. They should all test at 8 volts.

You may be able to monitor the voltages of the pairs while driving. When under heavy load I would suspect that you will see one packs voltage drop significantly more than the others.

Were you able to find the bad cell in your Prius battery?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Barry,
I looked at the dynamic data on the techstream and found that it was battery pack 13 that was dropping out. I had the battery replaced and it's working fine. Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Barry,
I looked at the dynamic data on the techstream and found that it was battery pack 13 that was dropping out. I had the battery replaced and it's working fine. Thanks for your help.It doesn't seem to be allowing me to rate you. I assume that I have to do that for you to get paid?

That's great I'm glad you were able to get it fixed. Please feel free to ask for my help any time. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Thank you.