Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 toyota, I need to clear the codes, I just had…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 toyota, I need to clear the codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Toyota. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I just had the codes erased by a mechanic

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
5/12/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 1 year ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, did the mechanic clear the codes manually or with a scan tool?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A scan tool. I need to know the drive cycles I need to do to be able to go back to the inspection station.
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 1 year ago

let me check. please stand by.

Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 1 year ago

What kindo of toyota is it and what size engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2005 highlander 2wdrive 6 cyl
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The man at the inspection station said there is a specific driving pattern I should do to be able to get retested.
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 1 year ago

Monitor “not ready”

Clearing the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) will reset the monitor statuses. This typically occurs during vehicle repair. Statuses are reset in case of power failure too. This usually happens when the battery has been disconnected. Therefore it is not advisable to disconnect the battery. If you need to disconnect the battery for example to replace it, read further to learn how to get the monitors back to complete.

Note! Depending on your country and state, OBDII vehicle may not pass the annual inspection unless the required monitors are “ready”. For example, the US Environmental Protection Agency guidelines allow up to two monitors to be in a “not ready” state for model year 1996 through 2000 vehicles and one monitor “not read” for 2001 and newer model year vehicles.

How to get the monitors “ready”?

1. First, make sure that the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) is not commanded on. Having stored or even pending diagnostic trouble codes active may prevent a monitor from running to completion.

2. Second, make sure that you have enough fuel in the car. Some monitors, for instance the EVAP monitor, may require the fuel level to be between 35% and 85% to initiate the diagnostic testing.

3. Third, complete the so called “drive cycle”. About one week of combined city and highway driving is usually enough to allow the monitors to reach complete status. The drive cycle is explained in more details in the next paragraph.

OBD drive cycle

The purpose of the OBD2 drive cycle is to let your car run on-board diagnostics. This, in turn, allows monitors to operate and detect potential malfunctions of your cars’s emission system. The correct drive cycle for your car can vary greatly depending on the car model and manufacturer. Also, the monitor in question affects the required drive cycle.

Today, many vehicle manufacturers include these drive cycles in the vehicle owner’s manual. Typically, a few days of normal driving, both city and highway, will make the monitors ready. The following generic drive cycle can be used as a guideline if a specific drive cycle is not known. It will assist with resetting monitors when a car specific drive cycle is not available. However, it may not work for all cars and monitors.

The drive cycle can be difficult to follow exactly under normal driving conditions. Therefore, it is better to drive it in restricted area!

1. The universal OBD-II drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 50 C /122 F, and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another). This condition is easily achieved by letting the car to sit overnight.

2. The ignition key must not be left on prior to the cold start. Otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

3. Start the engine and idle the engine in drive for two and half minutes, with the A/C and rear defroster on if equipped.

4. Turn the A/C and rear defroster off, and accelerate to 90 km/h (55 mph) under moderate, constant acceleration. Hold at a steady speed for three minutes.

5. Decelerate (const down) to 30 km/h (20 mph) without braking or depressing the clutch for manual transmissions.

6. Accelerate back to 90-100 km/h (55-60 mph) at 3/4 throttle. Hold at a steady speed for five minutes.

7. Decelerate (const down) to a stop without braking.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will do all of that and hope it works. If not, I will be back in touch. Thank you
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 1 year ago

This drive cycle will need to be performed 2-3 times and engine will need to be allowed to cool down inbetween drive cycles.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how long does the engine need to cool down?
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 1 year ago

Atleast 5-7 hours depending on the weather outside.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
your answer did not specify the Toyota Highlander 6 cyl engine model. Do you have more specific information?
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 1 year ago

Attached is the manufacture provided drive cycle. The one before does the same, its just a little less complicated.

Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 1 year ago

0
false
18 pt
18 pt
0
0
false
false
false/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 1 year ago

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent auto mechanic and do not work at or for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me .

3. I only get credit for my work from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
your answer came to me in this form:
12 May 2017 05:52
Gunvir Singh Gunvir Singh
Toyota Mechanic0
false18 pt
18 pt
0
0false
false
false/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That last response makes no sense. I cannot rate your help till I try it out on my truck. I will stay in touch and will give you a high rating if you can help me get my truck to pass the Georgia emissions inspection. It is all about the engine codes.
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok and let me know if any issues.