roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

1992 Toyota 4-Runner SR5 V6 Having automatic transmission

Customer Question

1992 Toyota 4-Runner SR5 V6
Having automatic transmission trouble. The trouble is intermittent. The transmission first slipped about 3 weeks ago and it was as if it was in neutral, then is would shift really quickly a couple gears, then again like it was in neutral. I limped the vehicle home and did a drain and refill the next day just to see if it helped. It ran just fine for 7 days, then started the same thing. This time I got it to my mechanics garage. He doesn't tear into transmissions, but thought a flushing was worth a try. He test drove the vehicle as soon as I got there and it ran perfectly, no problems what-so-ever. He did the flush and two different mechanics drove it and said they had no problems at all. I picked it up today and it drove fine on the way to work. As I was leaving tonight, it acted up again. The speedometer starting jumping to 100mph and back to 0mph over and over. The transmission seemed to be going back and forth from neutral and 1st gear. Again, I limped it home very slowly and it mostly just stayed in 1st gear. It shifted a couple of times in the 3 mile trip home, but then seemed to go back to neutral.
Almost forgot, for the last few months there has been a loud clicking noise coming from under the gear shifter while idling or just with the key on. This is also intermittent. You might hear it every time you get in for 2-3 days, then not hear it again for 2-3 days. Also, the shifter will usually not come out of park without pushing the shift over-ride button.
I'm calling the local transmission guy tomorrow. Just looking to know where I stand here as far as a possible electrical/sensor problem before a rebuild is needed.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

was the transmission filter changed at any time during these repairs??? there is no mention in your post

Roy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not that I know of.
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

thats where you need to start. it may be the entire issue.

have the pan dropped and the filter changed.

Roy