Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

The key (actual key) won't unlock the car door, Yes I have a

Customer Question

the key (actual key) won't unlock the car door
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes I have a Rav4 2010
JA: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing. I'm locked out of it I've tried using the key in the drivers side door
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help 365 days a year, but not every hour of the day. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I am not there and can only advise based on what you tell me. Let's get started.

Is there a possibility the battery is dead? On some vehicles a dead battery will prevent the door locks from working. If that is the case then from under the vehicle at the starter or alternator connect to the large wire and to chassis ground using jumper cables or a charger to get the battery powered so you can retry the door.

Please make sure to rate my answer prior to logging off, as this is how I get credit for helping you. If you have not yet received 5 star excellent service from me. Please follow up so you get everything from me that you expected from the deposit you have already paid, which I get nothing of till you rate me. Rating does not close the post nor prevent replying at a later date.

Thanks Moose

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. If not please reply so we can resolve your issue together.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Battery not dead, key worked on ignition, but not for door. Weird... locksmith came to unlock door and started it right up with same key in ignition.

Glad you got it resolved.