Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 97 Toyota Celica 2.2L MT and I am getting a P0340

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 97 Toyota Celica 2.2L MT and I am getting a P0340 engine code: (P0340 code indicates that a problem was detected in the camshaft position sensor circuit) but this year does not have a camshaft position sensor and I dont know where to look or what to do at this point.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and prepare your answer.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for holding!
On this vehicle, the Camshaft Position Sensor is built into and part of the Distributor Assembly. The Camshaft position sensor consist of a signal plate and pickup coil.
The sensor plate has one tooth on its outer circumference and is built into the distributor.

So, if you are getting a P0340- carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness to the distributor for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If no problems are found, the distributor assembly will need to be replaced.

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How many wire/sensors are plugged into this distributor? Mine only has one connection to it. Is this correct? And ive checked the connections and they seem secure. Is there a way to test the distributor iteslf before replacing it?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

There is only 1 electrical connector to the distributor. There is a test procedure that can be done with the use of an Ohms meter. I have the test procedure in PDF format here: https://goo.gl/vtluen

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will go test the distributor for its Ohm readings to see if thats the problem. i will be back shortly
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good. Please let me know how you make out!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just checked the ohms and it read 170 at cold.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've double checked the cars timing and it's aligned to factory. I also checked to make sure the crankshaft works and is with ohm specs as well.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Sounds like the air gap may be off. The P0340 is a very straight forward code. Either a problem in the wiring to the distributor, or the distributor itself. This is actually fairly common on this model year.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, so if I replace the distributor it should work?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
also the engine inside the celica is a 2.2 5sfe from 95 Toyota Camry. Will that make a difference on why it's giving the code? Are the distributors not compatible?