Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I purchased a spare key for my toyota fj 08. After following

Customer Question

Hi .. I purchased a spare key for my toyota fj 08. After following instructions of how to program the new key... it does not go into the programming mode: where the doors lock and unlock to signify its in the programming mode
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: I also tried the secondary option of utilizing the lock unlock 5 times to start the programming mode. It is the first time programming
JA: What is the model of your '08 Toyota?
Customer: FJ cruiser
JA: Are you fixing your FJ Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This pertains to programming a new key
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

was this an online key purchase or factor OEM key

is this how you performed the registration,read below and click on the links to view ,diagrams

Is the locking system having any prior issues , especial driver door ,is working correctly ,locking and unlocking

2008 Toyota Truck FJ Cruiser 2WD V6-4.0L (1GR-FE)

Save Article

DOOR LOCK: WIRELESS DOOR LOCK CONTROL SYSTEM: REGISTRATION REGISTRATION 1. DESCRIPTION OF CODE REGISTRATION HINT: - Recognition code registration is necessary when replacing the door control transmitter or the door control receiver. - Add mode is used to register new recognition codes while still retaining codes already registered. This mode is used when a new transmitter is added. If the number of registered codes exceeds 4, the previously registered codes will be erased in order, starting from the first registered code. - Rewrite mode is used to erase all the previously registered recognition codes in order to register new recognition codes. This mode is used when the transmitter or the door control receiver is replaced with a new one. - Confirmation mode is used to confirm how many recognition codes have already been registered before registering any additional recognition codes. - Prohibition mode is used to erase all the registered codes and disables the wireless door lock function. This mode is used when the transmitter is lost. - All of the following registration procedures must be performed in order and in a continuous sequence. 2. REGISTER RECOGNITION CODE (USING TECHSTREAM) HINT: For detailed procedures, refer to the prompts on the tester screen. The number of currently registered codes can be checked on the first screen of the Wireless Registration. (a)Connect a Techstream to the DLC3. (b)Turn the ignition switch to ON. (c)Turn the Tester ON. (d)Enter the following menus: Body Electrical / Main Body / Utility / Wireless Registration. (e)Press both the LOCK and UNLOCK switches at the same time for 1 to 1.5 seconds. (f)Press either switch for more than 1 second within 3 seconds. (g)Check the response to the registration completion.

Zoom and Print Options

HINT:
- If the LOCK-UNLOCK operation occurs twice, the registration of the recognition code has failed. Perform the registration procedures again from the beginning.
- If registering another transmitter, repeat the procedures after the tester operation. All 4 recognition codes can be registered consecutively.

(h)Perform either of the following to complete the registration of the recognition codes:
- Use the Techstream to send a completion command.
- Disconnect the Techstream.

3. REGISTER RECOGNITION CODE (USING SWITCH OPERATION)
(a)The following conditions must be met.
- No key in the ignition key cylinder.
- The driver side door is open (the other doors are closed).
- The driver side door is unlocked.

(b)Insert and remove the key into / from the ignition key cylinder twice (Insert - Remove - Insert - Remove) within 5 seconds.
HINT: The procedure should end with the key removed.

(c)Perform the following operations within 40 seconds.
(1)Close and open the driver side door twice (Close - Open - Close - Open).
HINT: The procedure should end with the door open.
(2)Insert and remove the key into / from the ignition key cylinder (Insert - Remove).
(3)Close and open the driver side door twice (Close - Open - Close - Open).
(4)Insert the key into the ignition key cylinder and close all doors.
(d)Perform the following operations within 40 seconds.
(1)Turn the ignition switch from ON to OFF at approximately 1 second intervals. Operate the ignition switch according to the number of times shown below.

Zoom and Print Options

HINT: If the number of ignition switch ON - OFF operations is 0, 4, 6 or more, there will be no response (the power door lock and unlock operation) to show which mode has been selected.
(2)Remove the key from the ignition key cylinder.
(e)Check the response of the selected mode within 5 seconds.

Zoom and Print Options

NOTE: After the system has been set to the prohibition mode, enter the confirmation mode and check that the number of registered keys is 0.
HINT:
- In the confirmation mode, LOCK-UNLOCK operation will occur once for each recognition code that has been registered. For example, if 2 recognition codes have been registered, LOCK-UNLOCK operation will occur twice.
- In the confirmation mode, if no recognition codes have been registered, LOCK-UNLOCK operation will occur 5 times.
- If confirmation mode or prohibition mode is selected, the operation ends after the response to the selected mode completes.

(f)If add mode or rewrite mode is selected, perform the following procedures.
(1)Press a single switch (LOCK or UNLOCK) within 5 seconds.
(2)After completing the above step, check the response to the registration completion within 3 seconds.

Zoom and Print Options

HINT:
- If the LOCK-UNLOCK operation occurs twice, the registration of the recognition code has failed. Perform registration procedures again from the beginning.
- If registering another transmitter, repeat the procedures after the response to the selected mode confirmation. All 4 recognition codes can be registered consecutively.

(g)Perform either of the following to complete the registration of the recognition codes:
- Open the door.
- Insert the key into the ignition key cylinder.

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13851)

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This key was purchased at the dealership. There has been nor is an issue with the doors unlocking or locking

ok I see ,was the procedure done like the one I sent you earlier

if it is , next step will be doing using a factory scanner or equivalent if it is not doing it manauly

it happens in some cases , i usually use my scanner all the time,but logicaly speaking the manualy should work unless we have any issue in the system and to know that accurately we need a capable caner or it will be a guess on my part and you end up throwing parts at it to be honest with you

Please let me know if you need anything else on it ,if you do get fault codes retrieved if there was any ,let me know i can help you further on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat