Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

It pops out of 6th gear into neutral while I'm driving my

Customer Question

It pops out of 6th gear into neutral while I'm driving my 2003 Matrix. I can put it in 5th gear and slow down. The rest of the gears work. But, how much trouble am I in?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: From the gear shifter area (manual) for about two weeks
JA: Are you fixing your Matrix yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took it to an independent garage near me and was told the entire transmission needed replacement and possibly a new clutch.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Obviously, I want to drive safely, but the extent of the work projected, surprised me. I'm just about totally broke, so this is going to cause stress
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 4 months ago.

Hi My name is Jay

The transmission would not have to be replaced unless parts are not available. You would need to have the transmission removed and taken apart to replace what is called blocker rings for the 6th gear. While the transmission is apart then any other damaged part would need to be replaced at that time.

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"