Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I am thinking about buying an older car. Do all cars need to

Customer Question

I am thinking about buying an older car. Do all cars need to be inspected in the Edwardsville, IL area
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: will power modifications mess up the inspection?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello., Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. In IL, all cars must have an inspection. To address your second question, 'power modifications' can be a very grey area. Assuming the car has all of the necessary items for inspection in good working order (brakes/suspension, exhaust, etc), I would not think that you are going to have a problem. Now, if the engine has been highly modified, and capable of high horsepower ratings and attaining high speeds (more that the car was originally capable of), you might encounter problems as the stock brakes are not capable of properly stopping the vehicle from high rates of speed (like over 100 mph). If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks!