Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Just took my 2006 Highland to dealership for oil change. I

Customer Question

Just took my 2006 Highland to dealership for oil change. I was told I have a coolant leak and it is going to cost of $1,300 to fix. Been reading a bit online and haven't verified any specifics with mechanic. What is reasonable and what questions should I ask to make sure I am not getting taken for a ride?
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: I take the car in for regular maintenance. Not sure how old hoses are....and I haven't personally tested the mix. Should I take it elsewhere and get a second opinion. And how would I test the mix?
JA: What year is your 300?
Customer: It is a 2006 Toyota Highlander.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car has over 235,000 miles on it.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Did they tell you any specifics on where it is leaking - headgasket, water pump, heater core, radiator, etc?

Do you regularly check your coolant level and if so, have you had to add coolant recently?

Has the temperature gage been reading hotter than normal lately?