Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1999 toyota camry - the door open light is always on at the

Customer Question
dashboard. Gets brighter...
1999 toyota camry - the door open light is always on at the dashboard. Gets brighter when any door is open and then dims slightly when the doors are closed.
I have heard it is integration relay?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/10/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 6 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I would not be inclined to pronounce the integration relay as the problem without a small bit of diagnosis. If this car was in my shop I would be removing each of the 4 door switches and disconnecting them. If the light goes out, one of the switches is bad. The power flow, to cause the light to come on is via the ground created when the door(s) are opened. When the door opens, the switch closes. This enables a ground circuit to be completed, which allows the light to illuminate. I am thinking you have some corrosion on one of the switches that is allowing a small ground circuit creation.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks!

The car is in relatively rust free even though the age is '99.
I have removed all the door switches and disconnected them from their connectors. The light did not turn off. So I am assuming this is not the problem, but we did eliminate one potential issue.I also discovered that when you press the switch like the door is closed, the light does dim a little, indicating the switch opening is getting to the light (or whatever controls the light).Do you have any other troubleshooting steps you can think of?Steven
Are you available to respond? It was a good thought but didn't resolve the problem.Steven

Sorry about the delay; just got off work. Remove the 25 amp fuse from the fuse panel under the dash. It is between a 5 amp and a 7.5 amp fuses on the right side of the box. If the light goes out, your initial hypothesis of the integration relay could very well be correct. AN integration relay issue would certainly be possible if any of the following are true: 1) windshield has been replaced or it leaks. 2) collision repair on the driver side door/fender area. 3) water noticed on driver side footwell under the pedals.

I pulled the fuse and the light did turn off. I put the fuse back in and light stayed off and door ajar sensor is working perfectly now. Needed a reset. Another suggestion for your knowledge base.Steve

I am thinking you have an integration relay issue here. The integration relay does cannot be 'reset'. The integration relay is not a relay in the mechanical sense of common relay operation. The integration relay does what its name implies; it integrates power as a relay (or better put a means of transfer to the various circuitry in the car. The relay is a series of circuity. You moving the fuse on the fuse panel has jarred the relay (it is attached the rear of the fuse panel). You might be ok. If it happens again, I would replace the integration relay.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert