Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Have a 91 toy pu 3.0 L at idle it has a dead miss every 5

Customer Question

Have a 91 toy pu 3.0 L at idle it has a dead miss every 5 seconds approx at idle.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
a miss or a shudder every 5 seconds approx the runs ok then a miss / shudder again and it keeps the same tempo over and over
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for posting your question

Does the check engine light stay on when the engine is running?

Is there any type of excessive smoke from the exhaust?

Does it seem to have normal power and acceleration?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
eng light stays on. no excessive smoke from tail pipe. and yes seems to have normal power on acceleration
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
a 52 code knock sensor and a 71 egr code

Thanks for the reply, the knock sensor code can come up because of the rough idle/misfire, the 71 code is insufficient egr gas flow neither code should cause a rough idle uless the egr valve is sticking and staying open at idle when it should be closed. This would cause a real rough idle, almost stall and lots of black smoke from the exhaust so I'm not so sure that this is the real problem. Try tapping the top of the egr valve with a hammer to unstick it while it's idling and see if it clears up. Before replacing the egr valve and modulator valve I would recommend doing a compression test on the engine, leaking valves or headgaskets are not uncommon on this engine.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thanks

You're welcome, do you have any other questions for me today about this?

I assume that have concluded our chat, please take a moment to rate positively, you can still post follow ups at no additional charge.