Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2002 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder. Just replaced motor with a

Customer Question
2002 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder...
2002 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder. Just replaced motor with a 2003 motor. Car starts, runs a few seconds, and dies.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: I believe the car cranks fine and the battery is good, yes.
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am working with someone now who is trying to fix it so I am relaying information for him. He's been working on car including the engine swap.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Possible compatibility issues between 2003 motor sensors and 2002 Camry the motor was installed in.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/19/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 7 months ago
Greg
Greg, Technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Hi

Switch the ignition switch to on and check the security light goes off should not flash with the ignition key in the on position or when cranking the engine .

Both year of engine are the same so not the problem .

If light is flashing you will need to reprogram the key's , if you have a diagnostic scan tool or code reader first check for codes this will confirm this for you.

If light is not flashing get a scan tool or code reader and check for codes you may have a bad sensor like a crankshaft sensor malfunction .

If you need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i/we will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Before rating poor or bad please get back to me as i'm here to help you and if i can't i will opt out so another expert can , we want you to be happy and have your problem sorted out and be a happy motorist .
After rating there is no further cost for any other question relating to this problem
Kind regards Greg..

It's a 2003 Camry with a 2002 engine just put in it . The ECU is programmed to the keys we have with the 2003 ( before swap ) , put a new cam sensor in as wel .
Is there more than one cam sensor we change the cam positioning sensor

One cam sensor if only the motor was swap over and the system with the car is from old and not replaced the engine should start ,

What you need to do is get hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool and see what codes you have ,

Check and see if you have spark and if the fuel pump runs when cranking the engine if both are not working then security issue. immo activated if you have both or missing just one let me know .

Greg

I have spark. The only light that comes on is the check engine light. So it's not the key. And the fuel pump doesn't always work, sometimes it comes on and sometimes it doesn't. And the fan sometimes stays on while in the off position

Okay need to check for malfunction codes .

Fuel pump is working as with ignition on the fuel pump will energize only for a few seconds .

Now this is what i think could be your problem with you just changing the engine .

Now if you are using the injectors from the new engine then swap from the original, as i've seen with used engine s the injectors fitted may have been stored for a long time and sized ,

Try the original injectors that where working with the original engine .

If you have spark then the alarm system is not the problem .

The other issue could be the crankshaft sensor if this is faulty you will not get injector signal to open the injectors .

check for codes to be sure you may find a crankshaft sensor code or even a cam sensor code /

Greg

I put a new cam positioning sensor in. I haven't done a crankshaft sensor. I got it to run but if I hit the gas the throttle body won't open.

You need to check for codes very important.

If you don't have one then i suggest you try the bluedriver a very good higher level scan tool

used with your apple or smartphone .

Has also live data to do deeper diagnostics .

Greg

Pressure control solenoid d / electricial
A camshaft position/ actuator circuit open bank 1
Pressure control solenoid A/ electrical
Pressure control solenoid B/ electrical
Shift solenoid D control circuit/high

Can you get me the actual codes .

Greg

P2717
P0010
P0748
P0778
P0984

Okay good thank you .

First with this engine i would check the timing chain position marks, as the P0010 code is timing

issue normally set at higher rpm but is stalling after start up i would check timing with this code .

he Engine Positions System Performance Bank 2 code may have several causes:

1. Engine timing out of sync
  2. Engine oil sludge (from lack of oil changes)
  3. Worn timing components (chains, gears, guides)
  4. Crankshaft or camshaft sensor malfunctions
  5. Wiring damage
  6. ECM software out of date
  7. ECM internal damage.

All other codes are transmission related .

This could well be a bad connection to the transmission check this first .

Rgds Greg..

I never touched any of the cables to the trans but I will check

Okay let me know what you find .

Greg

We took the car to Toyota and it was a faulty connection for one of the grounds to the engine and is now fixed but now I am getting these codes back what do you think? P0113 . P0102 .
Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician