Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2008 Toyota Sienna & recently when only taking left

Hi I have a 2008...
Hi I have a 2008 Toyota Sienna & recently when only taking left curved turns at around 35mph I hear a ticking from the right passenger FRONT area of my van...Then yesterday I heard the noise coming from the left driver side of my van going on a curve at around 35mph
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It's been a few months but & then yesterday it's coming from under the FRONT right side of the van & then yesterday now the left as well makes the same noise when making curve in the road turns to the left or towards the right
JA: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Now here is the fun part I just got on the freeway & now my VAC & TRAC OFF LIGHTS ARE BOTH ON but no check engine light
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I can't fix it my self but can I keep going on the freeway or do I need to get towed to a dealership or repair place it runs but I don't like the way it feels or looks on my dash with the LIGHTS on
4/18/2017
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. What the clicking noise is, is the CV axles. These axles start to click like this when they malfunction. The trac and vac lights being on, are like a result of the wheel sensor being damage or unable to read the ABS ring on the CV axle.

If the axle completely malfunctions, then you will be stuck because the vehicle will be unable to move.

I would not be on the highway, though. You should have this repaired ASAP.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed.
Hi Todd so this means that I should not continue to drive on the freeway & and get towed to a mechanic?

I would have it towed. I would not trust it.

I just started my van & the LIGHTS are
No longer on & haven't come on yet should I get towed
Anyways or should it be ok to get home slowly 46miles

The issue isn't dangerous, it will just leave you stranded. If

If you take it slow, you should be okay.

Is this repair going to be really expensive? Like $300.00USD

It is on both sides, correct?

One moment, please, for labor information.

its mainly been on the right side of the vehicle around right curves at 35mph but now yesterday I noticed the left on a left curve at 35mph too...I don't have that much money for repairs right now & I drive this is my only vehicle I own for work to earn money.

With both side being done, you are looking at around 4.4 hours of work plus parts and taxes. The labor price depends on the amount the shop charges per hour.

If the shop charges $100 per hour, then you are looking at $440 plus parts, which are like $50 each.

Will I need breaks or new sensors too?
I will need to go now so that I can call around to get this done somewhere today I can't be with out my vehicle...Can You recommend anyone for me in Stockton, CA

The most the you should be looking at is $600. Although, you may find a corner shop to do the job for less. You may need the sensors or the lights may have been a result of the ABS ring located on the axle. When the mechanic removes the wheel he will know. If the brakes are good, you wouldn't need to replace.

is there a chance that if I drive due to the ABS ring being on the axle that I won't be able to stop or lose my breaks too?

Address: 1102 W Fremont St, Stockton, CA 95203

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Hours:

Open today · 8:30AM–5PM

A Care Auto Repair. This place has 5 stars.

No. You won't lose your breaks

I hope that this information helps. If you need me, I'm here. Also, please do not forget to rate the service as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician