Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Engine will not turn over. Battery comes on but transmission

Customer Question

Engine will not turn over. Battery comes on but transmission still thinks it is in park and not drive
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: Did spark at first and then went dead. Check transmission light is on
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2008 Toyota Prius
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. About to get it towed to a dealer. We tried jumping it and it fixed the battery but not the engine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Bo
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you are seeing an issue with the gear position indicator indicating that the transmission is in a gear that is actually not shifted into this prevents the starting that you see here and is caused by a fault with a component like a transmission position/mode switch needing replaced or an issue with the transmission neutral safety switch in most cases.

What will have to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool that will plug in and communicates with all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done any codes set need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.I suspect this switch will need replaced but I would have the codes checked to make sure and the proper testing done as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. Do you have any idea how much this costs?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome

The diagnosis charge can be around an hours time or around $100 in most cases then the repair costs will vary depending on what is found at fault and can run up to around $500 or more in some cases.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete