Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The hood latch inside the vehicle won't release the hood…

Customer Question
The hood latch inside...

The hood latch inside the vehicle won't release the hood 1999 avalon

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you hear a thunk when you pull the lever?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hopefully fixing myself, car has not been driven in almost 2 years

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not now, just need to get in the compartment

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
4/1/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I read your concerns and am ready to help you.. Just a quick question before we start, can you fel resistance in the lever when you pull itor does it feel loose?

would you like to go to a service for quicker results?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is resistance it does not feel like the cable is broken

that is good don't pull too hard then it mat just be stuck or seized from sitting so long. What I would try first is to let it soak overnight with a good penetrating fluid on it. Not wd40 as this is a washed out version, I;ll give you pics of some to try. After it sits over night have someone bounce the hood as you try pulling the release. Let me know how that goes so I can proceed with another thing to do.