Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am trying to remove the cruise control switch to check on…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to remove the cruise control switch to check on my 04 Prius. When I hit the on-off the dash does not turn on. I was reading about disconnecting the 12v battery, and was just reading about the 5v check at the wiring harness. I am technically inclined; however, I thought that I would bouce this off of you.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

I just bought the car and I went to look at the battery and noticed that the pan under the battery was full of water. I don't seem to have a battery issue because the terminals look clean and the battery look new. no smell

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

I went to look at the cruise control switch, and pulled the small cover over the switch assy. however, it was getting late and did not want to mess around near the airbag without more info.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just how to remove the cruise control switch assembly

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 4 days by:
3/17/2017
Toyota Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 1 year ago
nelson freitas

Thanks for using Just Answer. I am Nelson, and I have been an automotive technician for over 12 years now, and I am currently working at a Toyota Dealership.

Do you still require assistance?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I still need an answer. Since I origionaly asked my question, I have replaced the cruise control stick assembly. The problem is that if I hit the on/off switch enough, I can get the cruise control system to turn on (dash board indicator on), set a speed, raise and lower the speed. the problem comes with the inability to turn off, and when I go to turn on the system again it does not always engage. It acts like a relay that is not working properly or something along that line.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am on a limited time frame and if you can't get back to me tonight, pass on this answer. Also, if you would send me schematics, that would help a lot. Thannks