Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 toyota Avalon My car was showing a red engine…

I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 toyota Avalon My car was showing a red engine oil pressure light sometimes so i diagnosed my car and the mechanic told me that i have multiple oil leakage some was from the oil pan etc etc He is suggesting not to open up the engine and seal the leakage since its a lot of work i want to know if there is a solution for it

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the oil? How old is your oil pump?

Yes, oil pump is pretty old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

No i am not fxing myself. I gave to the company

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well, there is a check engine light ON but it is being taken care of by replacing the charcoal canister

2/8/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure

Hey how are you

if the oil pressure sending unit is causing it ,you can replace it

but if there is a big leak causing the low oil pressure , plus on top the oil pump is old , so the tech is right ,

most likley an oil pan leak, rear main seal leak & timing cover leak and crank and cam shaft seals is leaking on it ,to do that the timing belt has to be removed , so that is major work but good cars though , common issue on high mileage one ,if you keeping it , i would fix it

any engine noises when the oil light is on

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are no engine noises when the oil is ON. The oil is On whenever i push brakes or take a left/right turn.
What is the total estimate to fix the oil leakage after removing the timing belt and opening the engine ?

if that is how it happens ,the oil light doing that at brake and left and right ,sound more like oil sludge ,oil pressure etc, not oil sending unit ,but testing is always is needed , the oil pressure can be checked with a special gauge before opening the engine .

but as requested

at my shop we charge : $500 parts & labor for timing belt , timing cover and cam & crank seals

oil pan : $300

rear main seal if leaking , that involve removing transmission : $500

so it depends if you doing separate or all at once, all at once might be cheaper depends on shop

I would try oil flush and oil filter and oil change with a good quality filter they make some with none return valve , that means it will hold pressure better , try that

Please let me know if you need anything else on it or you are good

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I have one last question. Does those leakage stopping oil bottles helps if poured with engine oil ?

To be totally honest ,it is a waist of money and do not work

You are very welcome ,you can ask me anything you want ,happy to help :)

Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat