Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

The keyless entry in my Toyota Echo 2001 doesn't work. The

Customer Question

The keyless entry in my Toyota Echo 2001 doesn't work. The only thing the buttons do is make the four lights flash a couple of times. How can I fix it?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also think that have a remote starter because sometimes the engine keeps turning even if I take the keys out of the contact and get outside the car. There is a button on the remote with no visible symbol due to wear.
Expert:  Mark G replied 5 months ago.

http://www.keyfobprogram.com/2001-toyota-echo-remote-programming/

You could try this. Print it and try it.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input so I can help you better. I read your notes and have a question before we start. Do you still require help?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. I tried it several times and it never worked. I had already tried a procedure pretty similar to the first one on that link at least 5 times before asking for help. Never worked either

Check to see if you have an aftermarket remote because this may be all your problem as I have run into this many times.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I dont know where I could find that. I know for a fact I dont have the manual and I cant find any brand name on the small antenna with the flashing little above the rear view mirror. All I can tell is I can still make the lights flash twice or more once a while when I play with the remote and randomly press its buttons. And I think I heard some very nimble clicking sounds too. I think

that little blue light you mentioned is definitely aftermarket and most likely all your problems.Do you want to try and do this yourself or take it to a shop? let me know and I can try and walk you through this.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess I'm gonna go through with it myself since I've recently changed the power lock actuator on my driver side's door.

Ok what you need to do is remove that aftermarket remote starter because it all goes through it. Do you have the booklet for it or know what system it is?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, when I got the car it wasn't supposed to be working at all anymore but I pretty much think it's keeping the car running when the keys have been pulled out of the ignition. How can I find out what system it is?