Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I've got a Sienna AWD, that makes a low hum which comes from

Customer Question

Hi I've got a Sienna AWD, that makes a low hum which comes from middle/rear of car when accelerating. It happens no matter which gear I select, at about 30-35mph, and get's faint as speed increases but does not go away. I am not suspecting it is transmission, but something related to the propeller shaft, u-joints, and or rear end. I also just read a resolved question from this page, where I should also check the rear engine mount. I think this could also be something to check, since the van makes a slightly different noise when backing up lately, kind of like a low hum or vibration. I appreciate your thoughts or experiences with this vehicle. I will be putting it up on the lift soon to check these things myself.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you anyway I can.

I suspect the root cause is the center support bearing for the driveshaft to the rear diff. And to be honest with you, I dont believe it an be replaced seperately although I could be wrong. You can call your local Toyota Dealership and speak with the parts department to see if you can get this part seperate. If so, this would be the way to go as it will be much cheaper than replacing the entire driveshaft assembly.

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Hello!

ItsCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help!

Customer/p>