Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2003 Highlander with 107000 miles. The transmission

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Highlander with 107000 miles. The transmission doesn't shift out of 3rd gear until it has been driven anywhere from a tenth of a mile up to about a mile, depending on how cold it is. Do you feel this couold eb a solenoid issue?
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: I will need to check that.
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have done nothing but ask these questions, other than I have accelerated fairly firmly getting up to about 45 mph and then back off and it usually shifts then.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: then what?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1- I would do a transmission fluid service first and retest ,using oen Toyota fluid only

2- Have it scanned with a Toyota scanner or equivalent that can read TCM module for any fault codes for shifting solenoid

3- when changing the trans fluid ,let them use a screen filter to see if any small metal shavings exit in the fluid

4- there is valve body and shifting solenoid issue on them but testing is needed to confirm if all above did not fix it

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had the transmission flushed in the last 10,000 miles. Does that alter the list of to dos above?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you still there Chad?

well actually no because we want to see if any metal shaving exist now

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND IT TAKES FEW MINUTES TO GET A RESPONSE BACK ,IT IS NOT EXACTLY TEXTING BUT CLOSE TO IT , I M STILL WITH YOU .LOL

A Toyota scanner is capable to run test on the valve body and shit solenoids and clutch volume index

so that will be recommend if the fluid turn out okay and problem still exist

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Hi, just checking in ,to see how things are going,Do you need further assistance ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat