Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I am installing led interior lights and need a hot fuse to

connect to so when the...
I am installing led interior lights and need a hot fuse to connect to so when the door opens the lights come on.
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: yes but cannot find anything
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2013 Toyota Tacoma
JA: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes but just trying to find a hot fuse as they gave me an adaptor to connect it to a fuse.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should be it
1/9/2017
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question,. This may? be a bit tricky as newer cars/trucks are computerized lighting controls, but,, please all ow me a little time ,few minutes + to pull wiring diagrams and see if I can help,. I will return as quick as I can. Thanks what engine do you have?

V6 I believe
Can I install in the same fuse as maybe the hazard lights are? It is a 7.5 but not sure if it needs to be a minimum of 10.
What I want to do is for these led interior lights to come on when you open the doors.

amps I am not worried abotu right off. but you want power only when you open a door. That may? be the tricky part,key on? that is one thing, headlights on? that is another thing, door open only?I have to research this a little bit

thanks. The interior dome light comes on when the door is open so I was also thinking that fuse but again not sure which one.

the problem? inside lights do NOT work by providing power to them, They always have 12 volts, they turn on by grounds. They are all controlled by the body computer,.Its not as simple as tapping into a fuse. The only way one can acheive this is to tap into a wire at the body computer and install an aftermarket relay. Its not too complex but have to buy a cheap relay and wire it into a couple things

These LED Glow interior lights have a video that shows connecting it to a fuse using an adaptor they provide. However, I am assuming that it has to be a hot fuse to provide power.
is there a way I can attach a link to view the video? It can be Googled too.

it does not work that way. Ther is NO fuse for power ONLY when doors are open.,Sure, I can send a hot fuse with key on etc but not for when you open the doors only. I am sorry in that it is not going to be that simple, I will opt out which will reopen the post back to the other experts and one will be along shortly if they can help further. Sorry I could not

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Toyota Mechanic

another expert here

sorry for the delay.......

.

Driver's Front Door Pin GREEN / YELLOW (-) wire
Located at DASH FUSE BOX - WHITE 18 PIN CONNECTOR PIN #7
Pass Front Door Pin RED / BLACK (-) wire
Located at DASH FUSE BOX - WHITE 22 PIN CONNECTOR PIN #8
.
Connect the (+) wires of your LED to a Constant Voltage (+) Fuse, located in the Inside Fuse Panel or the WHITE / RED wire of the Ignition Switch
Connect the (-) wire of the LED to either Driver or Passenger Switch as shown above
OR if you have "2" of these LED Lights, connect one to the Driver Door & one to the Passenger Door

Thanks and sorry as I am not that familiar with the terms you are using. Basically, I have a adapter that would slide into a fuse slot. The video they provide shows them taking out a fuse, slipping it in to this adapter and then pushing the adapter back into the fuse original slot. Based on directions, they had me attach to the door pin so when the door is opened, these led's and the dome light will come on. I just dont know what fuse to use (they use terms like switch and non switch).

You can use any Fuse that has Constant Voltage +, like the Tail Lamp Fuse in the Driver side Inside Fuse Panel

Then connect the other wire to either ;

.

it is not that difficult

.

let me know if you need further

Thanks I will try and locate that one. I guess that was my original question as to what fuses are this "Constant Voltage."

Here is Fuse Panel & Fuse in Driver Inside Fuse Panel

Click Attachment Below

.

IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.

Not a problem on the rating as I understand. Thanks for the diagram, so you think I should attach to the fuse that you point to with red arrow?

correct..........you posted that the company sent a Fuse, but did not post the AMP rating.

You would connect the other wire /s to the Factory wire I posted
IF just one Light connect to only one of the door switches
IF 2 Lights, & can split the Ground -, connect to both

Did you have any other questions?
I see you have viewed my reply but have not selected a rating.
Rating does not incur any additional costs, it simply allows me to be compensated for my time here.
It also does not close the question, you can follow up at any time.
Thank you.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Toyota Mechanic
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Toyota Mechanic