Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

It cranks but won't start. Fuel is going thru the rail.

Customer Question
It cranks but won't start JA...
It cranks but won't start
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: Fuel is going thru the rail. Spark plug wire showing spark
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1994 Toyota Corollia
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Change the rotor and cap replace the EFI relay
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Did not change plugs and is there a cam shaft sensor on car
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
1/8/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 10 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

How did this problem start, did it stop running while driving? have you checked for diagnostic trouble codes? Is this the 7A-FE engine?

it stop during driving but started right up after that. Can not read codes no equipment to do so. Has no OBD hook up. When we got home turn it off would not restart. A few days later it started several times then stop again.

There should be a check connector under the hood, you can use it to check for codes using a jumper wire, it's a small rectangular box with a cover on it that says diagnostic, let me know if it has this and I can tell you how to check for codes. A common problem on these engines is the ignition coil inside the distributor, check it fro cracks, remove the cap and rotor and the coil cover, check for cracks on top or burned areas where the spark may have leaked to ground. If in doubt just try a new coil.

Ok I will look at the coil. I'm changing the plugs also.

Good, keep me posted.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech