Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Security light is blinking in my daughter's 2012 Rav 4.

Customer Question

security light is blinking in my daughter's 2012 Rav 4.
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: Blinking. We have not tried reseting the security system? How do we do that?
JA: What is the model of your '12 Toyota?
Customer: Limited.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Daughter is out of state away from me and on the phone with me. Note that she was having problems with the automatic door locking system and tried using the manual key instead of the electronic key.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Daughter is headed back to the car so that she can try things. Key is back in the fob. Maintenance light is blinking when car is on. Security light is blinking when the car is off.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1-Please Read below for master reset procedure

2-you will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the alarm module in the vehicle.
is it the module, the receiver, hood switch , door switch, wiring etc.. , it could be number of reasons & there is not a fuse or a relay that you can pull out to disconnect it unfortunately

3- Make sure battery has 12 volts

4-Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know if that works for you

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sir, this is not something that my daughter is willing to do or that I want her to do. So she is going to get it checked out by a Toyota dealership at a later time. Thanks anyway. I am ending this conversation.

ok no problem as you wish