john
john, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

I have had a bad vibration noise from the engine. When it

Customer Question

I have had a bad vibration noise from the engine. When it first arrived a year ago the noise was slight and only when cold. I hunted for an exhaust leak but no luck. The noise has gotten so much worse, like something vibrating against the firewall.gainst
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: We have 147,000 on the care well maintained hoses original but look good. Bwenn to several mechanics, one said motor mounts, today I was told timing chain
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2005 XRS
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can do minor jobs like brakes and valve covers but I'm sure I need a mechanic for this problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No but thank you so much for your assistance
Category: Toyota
Expert:  john replied 6 months ago.

does it do this at idle? have you checked the motor mounts?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It does it at idle and under power and mostly with rpm coming down. Motor mounts past inspection but one mechanic did tell me the noise was due to motor mounts.
Expert:  john replied 6 months ago.

have you loaded the motor to check? in drive foot on the brake with throttle applied?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi John,
Are you still available? I had to drive for an hour or so after we connected yesterday and could not reply.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The vibration sound is coming from just inside the fire wall above the passenger's feet
Expert:  john replied 6 months ago.

does it do it in park? in gear sitting still or driving?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The noise is most notable from inside the car while idling in neutral.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You can make the noise louder with a slight Erving of the engine. The noise tends to go away at when traveling at a constant speed
Expert:  john replied 6 months ago.

do you know how to check motor mounts?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have done this myself and with a mechanic yesterday by letting the clutch out with brakes on both in first gear and in reverse . The motor doesn't move much
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your efforts but I found the problem. Brake line support bracket. There are six metal brake lines running parallel through a support bracket. The bracket is mounted to a fender wall and has a plastic spacer that has worn and was loose. I also found two of the brake lines rubbing together adding to the vibration noise. I did a temp fix until I can replace the support bracket. Thanks again.
Expert:  john replied 6 months ago.
Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!
Expert:  john replied 6 months ago.
Sorry that was an automatic reaponse and not intended for you