Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Failed calif smog ck it's running good new spark plugs, air

Customer Question
Failed calif smog ck...
Failed calif smog ck it's running good new spark plugs, air filter, it has 230'000 miles. My asm emission test said I failed @ 15mph HC (PPM) max 51 average 7 amount measured 62..?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: How can I lower these readings in order to pass?
JA: What specifically didn't pass the test? When was your last oil change?
Customer: The HC ppm is the only thing that didn't pass. Last oil change two weeks ago.
JA: Are you fixing your 62 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: That is what I want to do but don't know what to check.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so. That is the only thing that didn't pass.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
1/7/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago
Ivan Alvarez

What is the year make and model of your vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Toyota Tacoma 1999
Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

Double check that you don't have any vacuum leaks. Have you ever had the catalytic converters replaced?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, I can check for vac. leak, it has been idling good so didn't check. Never had cc replaced but the paperwork said the cc passed. Will let you know about results of vl test.
Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found mass airflow sensor leak and a couple of worn out hoses. Checked for vacuum leaks with starting fluid. No leaks noted. Will replace worn hoses, gasket for mass airflow sensor. Any other suggestions?
Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

If you haven't already checked the condition of the distributor cap and rotor I would do that. Double check the ignition timing if you have access to a timing light.

Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

All these little things may get your readings just below the max limit. Based on the hc readings the catalytic converter is worn and replacing that would get those readings down to average.

Ivan Alvarez
Ivan Alvarez
Ivan Alvarez