Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

The backseat seat belt is twisted and jammed all the way

Customer Question

The backseat seat belt is twisted and jammed all the way out. I think I need to. Take the pillar trim off but don't know how
JA: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?
Customer: It's on the passenger side in the second row. It has never been changed. (This is an 08 Sequoia)
JA: What is the model of your '08 Toyota?
Customer: Sequoia
JA: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I've tried to unfold it with needlenose pli pliers
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for posting

If the belt is tuck and can not be released then most likely the belt retractor assembly needs to be replaced. There is one panel that goes from the back to the front where the door opening is, The panel is mostly help on with plastic clips that pop off, there are a couple of screws that have to be removed, you have to remove the vent cover and a couple of plastic covers for more screws underneath, remove the seatbelt anchor at the floor where it exits through the panel.