Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

I hooked up jumper cables incorrectly on my tundra and now

Customer Question

I hooked up jumper cables incorrectly on my tundra and now it keeps losing power I have changed all fuses and had alternator tested what else can be the problem
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. This sounds like you have burned out the pcm. This reversal of power will cause much harm, depending on how long the battery was connected. Usually once this happen, circuits start shorting out and even melting may occur. How long was the battery connected?

Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Do you have a check engine light on?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No engine light on and at the time only for a few seconds which was a couple months ago and now when I drive it it sounds like it wants to dye and sometimes I will loose all power and sometimes it will drive fine for a few days
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

I would check all connections, for any burn signs. Especially near the pcm(I would actually have it checked), ignition control module, and fuse box. You may have to take it to a shop that has an oscilloscope so that they can monitor the system and truly see what's going on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will have my son call you shortly as he is the one that knows more than I is that ok
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Yes. It is.

Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

If you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.