Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Battery went bad and internal light come on indicating the

Customer Question

Battery went bad and internal light come on indicating the battery was not charged. so...replacing a new battery and a new alternator
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: then...the alternator is getting very hot after a 10 minutes....
JA: What is the model of your '10 Toyota?
Customer: it is corolla 2000 ce
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am trying to figure about why the alternator is so hot..
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the internal lights (most of yhr most of them aare gone
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

To clarify, you replaced the alternator and battery and the new alternator is getting hot?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that is corrected. It is very hot and I afraid the new alternator will be toasted
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Let me see check the circuit diagram and see what might be back-feeding. Do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Check the alternator output with the engine running. Let me know how many volts it's putting out.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Leave the alternator sitting in there and removed the connector/wires (that supposed to connect to other controls) and leave the wire that connect to battery stay connected
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My preliminary testing indicated that the wires / connector that supposed to connect to other controls causing the alternator heating up.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Currently...I can start the car using the battery power...when in turn the key to ignition (before cracking) I do not see any lights (brake lights, service engine, etc) come out from the dash board. These are gone
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Try hooking everything up like normal and see what kind of voltage is coming out of the alternator.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is 14.60v
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I trying to clean some corrosion positive wire terminal ....booking up everything as you mentioned...engine is currently running for about 5 minutes and it does not seem to heat up anytime soon.....could the corrosive terminal responsible for the heating????
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But...
The lights are still disappeared...I checks all visible fuse and there were no blown per see
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

It could increase temps a little if the charge is meeting resistance at the battery. Alternators are supposed to get hot, and 14.6 is pretty normal output voltage.

Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Does anything on the dash work?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
only the running /dim light and door ligh works.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

It sounds like you have a failed instrument cluster if nothing on the dash is working. No speedometer, gauges, etc?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the speedometer and gauges...signal lights, .heating indicator/meter, door and dim lights are working.It just these internal special/faculties lights like (service engine check, brake lights (external brake light works) and all other special lights that supposedly Tien on couple seconds during the ignition do not work. There seems to be some faulty there???