Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

It won't start this morning. Could the battery be dead if I

Customer Question

It won't start this morning. Could the battery be dead if I left the back open all night?
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Not, I'm pretty unsophisticated about such things..No, I have never charged one before. But I can cal triple A if you think that's what it might be.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2013 Prius
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. All I have tried is starting it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 8 months ago.

Good morning, thanks for posting

A dead 12 volt battery is a very good possibility, it can be discharged enough to keep the hybrid system from activating, so yes do have it jump started but keep in mind that these batteries do not charge up quickly like regular cars, there is no alternator and the battery is charged at a very low current when the engine is running, I would recommend that you leave it running for at least one half hour, the gas engine may shut off frequently so to keep it running try turning the a/c on, if after one half hour it still does not start back up replace the battery or take it to have it tested and go from there.