Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have 1999 toyota corolla. was running before parked last

Customer Question
night, the following early...
I have 1999 toyota corolla. was running before parked last night, the following early morning was about -2 degree cold, refused to start, Engine cranks good but refused to start or run, I check spark plug fires good and I spray fuel starter at the intake manifold via air filter box still no action of running. If timing belt is broke do you think sparkplug can produce fire?? I do not believed this is timing belt problem! . If fuse or relay problem ther is no sparplug fire, right?? therefore no problem on electrical??!! Pls. what do you think?? thank you***@******.***
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: The car has almost 200k original belt
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, since it died early morning and was very good yesterday, I pulled out the one sprplug and crank engine there was good fire lots but the color was yellow. ang I also spray with fuel starter on the intake manifold and try to start but no start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think thats it
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
1/4/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. If you are getting fire and fuel, i can think of a few things. First of all, is there a check engine light on? You sound like may have an issue with the crank or cam sensor.

Another issue that could cause this, is that since you have 200k+ miles on the timing belt, the belt may have slipped and not be allowing the motor to crank. That is more than likely what has happened.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician