Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I'm trying to find some information about a rear

Customer Question

I'm trying to find some information about a rear differential in a 2006 Tacoma. VIN 3TMMU52N66M002319.
I called my local dealer and he was no help.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jim replied 7 months ago.

What information are you looking for?

Expert:  Jim replied 7 months ago.

What information are you looking for?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What gear ratio, locker or limited slip.
Expert:  Jim replied 7 months ago.

Ok someone will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 7 months ago.

This truck is equipped with a TRS sport package which includes a limited slip rear differential. The gear ratio is 3.727

also you need to know that there is an open recall that number is ***** which is inspection and/or replacement of the rear leaf springs. You need contact your local dealer to have that recall taking care of.

41110-35A70 Is the Rear Diff number. Sorry to hear the dealer is giving you such a hard time it's really not that complicated the look this information up.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I wanted to put in a differential with an electric locker could I just put 12V through a switch and to the differential to engage the locker?

41110-35A20 is the part number for the 3.727 diff with the locker mechanism. Theoretically yes this could be done. However it would be extremely difficult to get the locker to engage the proper depth and timing because of the limit switches that are designed into the locker motor. The 4WD ECU controls the engagement of the locking differential and even then it will only allow it up to about 20 mph on the factory configuration. Without knowing what the limit switches are doing and timing it correctly it will be difficult to just put in an on off switch and reverse the polarity to engage the mechanism and disengage it. The limited slip differential will do just about the same thing and a lot less aggravation.