Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2005 Prius will not start. Lights come on, car will shift

Customer Question

My 2005 Prius will not start. Lights come on, car will shift out of park but only into neutral. No gas powered engine noises. No cikck or other indication of anything starting. Parking brake indicator light on, even with brake off.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Not sure. It has been awhile, I know.
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have never worked on it myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope. If the brake fluid is a probably fix, can I get some guidance on checking and adding it?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a set of jumper cables to try and jump the 12 V battery in the rear quarter panel area? Do you have a code reader to check for codes that would be set in the engine control computer?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No

We need some starting point here. Can you borrow or rent a code reader from your local parts store or I can even recommend one that you can purchase for less than $60. I suggest that everybody have one in the glovebox will save you hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees. We have to rule out whether or not the 12 v battery is low if it is low it will not allow the system to be ready on. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.