Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I had my rotors replaced on all wheels and my brakes

Customer Question

I had my rotors replaced on all wheels and my brakes replaced also. I think the rear brakes were disc, like the front wheels. I now have a shake with the car, and sometimes the steering wheel; I sometimes hear the front brakes (when braking) making a grinding noise; I have to press the brake pedal quite hard almost to the floor now and finally the ABS light stays on after I turn the ignition key (where in the past it turned off). Recently (last few days) the ABS light turned off as it should but is now coming on during driving and staying on. I got all the wheels balanced twice after I got the brakes/discs replaced but this is not the problem. I returned the car to the garage and they can't find a problem???
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Just the ABS light.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: Avalon Grande 2000
JA: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I had the job done with a reputable company. I also went to a Autoelectrician to get a second opinion but although the ABS light was on when he drove it, he turned car off and light didn't come on again. He used one of those 'computer diagnostic' things but there was "no" history of fault with my car. I am getting a friend of a friend - to use his computer thing on my car again and see what happens. If nothing shows up I will go to a Toyota Dealer (I wasn't happy with their customer service previously).
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am second owner of car - had for about 9 years and ABS light has never come on before and I have never had brake issues before. I only had 1 bad rotor (when I braked the car shuddered) and so I thought I would replace all 4 rotors and brakes and then wouldn't have to worry again. The ABS light came on about a week after the work was done. We have had lots of roadworks - dust; rocks on road etc.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 9 months ago.

Hi. It is possible that one of the abs sensors or tone rings were damaged during the brake repair, or coincidentally became damaged from the roadwork. I may be able to help isolate which wheel is causing the problem as well if you can let me know the diagnostic code that is causing the abs light to turn on. After you get that scanned can you let me know?