Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My NEW remote keyless entry FOB isn't working. Just stopped

Customer Question

My NEW remote keyless entry FOB isn't working. Just stopped suddenly one morning. Valet keys work fine.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: Yes. Just purchased a new key on Friday and dealership cannot lock/unlock doors with it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2007 RAV Limited
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing so far. Started research first
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing much. I just rolled up 67,000 miles on the odo...no wrecks...no dent repairs. Very tender care and all servicing done by the dealership.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does your valet key have lock and unlock capabilities and if so is it locking and unlocking the doors properly?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
valet keys work fine...locking and unlocking
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Did the dealer test the key fob signals at all with the new fob?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he did and said that the new key is working fine but the receiving unit is not receiving or processing the signals correctly. Asked if the car had been in an accident that damage the right rear quarter panel. It has not. I've owned the car since Feb 2009 and it has not been damaged.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

O.k.,this is most likely caused by an internal electrical fault with the receiver itself.I have seen issues with the receiver cause this issue on several models where it doesnt program properly or accept the new fob and cause this here.If this was not replaced and they know for sure t fob is o.k. I suspect the receiver needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** listening but it sounds like I need to check back in with the dealership tomorrow morning. Service was top-notch and I will keep you guys/gals in mind for future questions...dean
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Sounds good Dean.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete