Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Won't start, clicking noise and security light is on, no

Customer Question
won't start, clicking noise and...
won't start, clicking noise and security light is on
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: no engine response. i don't know how the book is not clear
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1999 camry
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I only tried to turn it on. it is in a parking lot. came out of the movie and it was making a clicking noise. if i turn the key all the way to the right it stops the security red blinking light
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
1/2/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

I'd first check that the main battery connections are tight and in good condition also check the earth strap to the engine / gearbox.

if this is OK then you'll need to charge the battery up to try and get you going, a jump start may also do it, take great care to attach the leads the correct way round

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer