Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1997 corolla will not start because the factory immobiliser

Customer Question
will not turn off JA: Have...
1997 corolla will not start because the factory immobiliser will not turn off
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: no they are good, or do you mean for the key imobillsor
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it keeps clicking every three secs or so like it is try to lock the doors but it isn't working
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have disconnected the car battery for a few minutes and then tried again I have tried manually locking doors and unlocking
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
1/2/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 10 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

Try doing this

Take the key out of the ignition

disconnect the negative battery termina

Put the key in and turn to on

re connect the battery

if the alarm stays off it should start\

If no luck with that look for a toggle switch on the left kick panel and turn it to off

If it has a red light either on the dash or mounted at the bottom edge of the dash look for a push button switch on the back of the light bracket, if in the dash see if the light can be pushed in like a button. In either case turn the key off and hold the button in and then the key on, one of these procedures should work and let it start.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech