Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2003 Highlander was parked and now it will not start it does

Customer Question

2003 Highlander was parked and now it will not start it does not have power to the fuel pump and I switched the EFI relay and it did not fix the problem.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 120000 and it was starting , with out any problems, and I did check the timing belt .
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am and I just told you what a I have tried.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What liter engine is in this model here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
3.0 liter V6
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Is anything after market installed like a remote start or alarm system at all?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it is stock
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Was this the circuit opening relay that was replaced?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I switch the horn and EF relay and the horn worked telling me to relay is good.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Does the circuit opening relay click at all with the key first on or when cranking over the engine at all?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It does click when cycling the key on and off and I believe there is no ignition spark because I took starting fluid and sprayed it down the intake tube and it didn't even try to start.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Do you hear a hum or buzz noise from the fuel tank at all when trying to start or when first turning on the key at all?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No there is no power to the fuel pump
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,you have 2 relays the efi relay and the circuit opening relay.The efi sends voltage to the circuit opening relay and when the circuit opening relay is energized this then sends power to the fuel pump.If you have not replaced the circuit opening relay this should be checked as it may need replaced.It is located as shown below.If this was already replaced and both of these relays do click when the key is on or when cranking the engine let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0sb6mfxymkz5mw/r-01-02.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9buhq326ec0pod/re-01-02.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I found this relay and it is good but it does not come on
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Locate the 7.5 amp IGN fuse and make sure it is o.k.If it is o.k. test to see if it has power with the key on at this fuse.If there is no power then the fault is with the ignition switch itself.This powers this fuse which powers this relay.