Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Driver side door will not open, electric lock works, but

Customer Question

Driver side door will not open, electric lock works, but inside or outside handle will not open door. What's loose or broken?
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2001 Tacoma TRD extra cab
JA: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, just replaced the outside handle. Inside handle would open it, but now it doesn't work either.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is the second outside handle replacement. Both handle work. Can't see the latch mechanism down in the door.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds very much like you either have something detached inside the door, at the door latch. In order for you to get the door panel off. The only way this can happen is to remove the driver seat form the vehicle, and set it outside of the vehicle. You cannot get the door panel off to inspect the door latch attachment points with the driver seat in place. Most likely, the clip that holds the lock/unlock rod to the latch assembly has come off. yes, the lock 'locks and unlocks', but the physical movement of the lock is not unlocking where it is actually at on the door latch. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The door panel is off,
How do access the latch linkage at the latch? I can not see the linkage down inside at the latch.

On the side of the latch you will see the solenoid that causes the doors to lock/unlock. See if the link is connected. Use the lock button to help you locate the solenoid and the link.