Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

New tires put on 2013 Toyota Highlander this Fall, serviced

Customer Question

New tires put on 2013 Toyota Highlander this Fall, serviced a few weeks ago, a rattle comes from front driver's side - sounds a lot like static and is very annoying. Going on very long trip next week and worried might have trouble on way. Is it safe to drive.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Noise is in left front side of dash and started recently. Had similar less frequent noise after tires were installed and tires were checked at that time, rotated and found one tire was not "seated" correctly. Now noise is back, but occurs all the time while driving,not just over rough Sask. roads.
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ens Toyota did servicing recently and we, ourselves have not touched the car except to see if anything was loose under hood (negative).
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it safe to drive - I see many customers complained about similar problem and no amount of money spent changed the rattle. Would a monitor come on if it was something serious?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Your rattle/static sound is most likely coming from the dust shield/air diverter that is located right behind the front brake rotor. This is a thin piece of sheet metal that can and will get bent of someone fits the tire wrong. When it gets bent (which is common), it can rub the brake rotor on certain times (rough roads/turns/etc). A monitor would not illuminate if this was the issue. If you had a problem with the wheel speed sensors, that would cause the ABS light to illuminate. I would recommend you have the tire removed, the brake caliper and the rotor removed, and then look for a shiny spot on the backing plate where it is rubbing the rotor. If it is rubbing, it ought to be easy to see.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much. We have been away from computer during Christmas.

You are very welcome. Thanks for the reply.