Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 99 toyota rav4 that may have a broken timing belt.

Customer Question
Is this an engine that...
I have a 99 toyota rav4 that may have a broken timing belt. Is this an engine that may be damaged by the broken timing belt?
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: Its my sons car and it probably has over 100,000 and it stopped running but before that it was running fine.
JA: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: He hasn't done anything but he mthe cover off to see if the belt is broken but someone told him that the engine piston rods were probably bent and the car was too old to repair. I told him to at least have it checked. Even if the timing belt is broken the engine may not be damaged.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
12/23/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 year ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

The 3S-FE engine in your RAV4 is a free-wheeling engine, which means no valve or engine damage when the timing belt breaks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Unless you have a related followup question on this at this time, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Unless you have a related followup question on this at this time, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager