Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Highlander, with low miles, about 88k. I am…

I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Highlander, with low miles, about 88k. I am planning on driving it about 2k miles on a trip, and besides the usual oil, filter and wiper change, I am trying to determine what maintenance I should do before the trip. I have been reading about items such as, transmission fluid, differential fluids, timing belt, transfer case fluid, etc.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

Sept 09, about 43k miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm too old for doing that work now. Had a recent oil change, new tires, and air and cabin filters replaced. I did manage to replace the wipers myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/8/2016
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and prepare your answer.

Thanks for holding.

At this mileage, the Engine Air Filter Element and Timing Belt are due to be replaced.

There is no service interval at which the Transmission fluid needs to be replaced as part of any maintenance schedule. This is to be inspected at intervals of every 30,000 miles and replaced on a "need-to" basis. If there are no signs of shifting problems or slipping, it's best to leave it alone. Replacing the transmission fluid just to replace it as preventative measures usually causes more problems than it cures.

Same goes for the Differential fluid- no set maintenance intervals. Inspected every 15,000 miles and replaced on a "need-to" basis.

Outside of the air filter and timing belt, there are no other necessary replacement items.

At this mileage, things to be inspected: Ball Joints, Brake Lines, Serpentine Belt, Engine Coolant, Radiator, Steering box, transmission fluid, differential fluid.

Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to use the stars and leave a rating for our Q&A! Have a great trip!

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -