Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Sam's Auto Center I have 2004 Toyota Rav4 it starts good by

Customer Question
Hi my name is*****...
Hi my name is***** sam's Auto Center
I have 2004 Toyota Rav4
it starts good by not ruaning
it get me dtc code in ECM B2799 engine immobilizer system malfuntion
note
this car doesn't have immobilizer system
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/28/2016
Toyota Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 12 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, what do you mean it doesnt have an immobilizer? was it bypassed?

this car donot have immobilizer , don't have transponder key computer and don,t have transponder key amplifier no deft deterrent indicater it is a plain system

Hate to tell ya bud, but it may not have a separate transponder but it has anti theft

Alarm Module: Testing and Inspection

TERMINALS OF ECM

CHECK TRANSPONDER AMPLIFIER

Terminals Of ECU

a. Disconnect the T5 amplifier connector, and measure the resistance between the terminal of the wire harness side connector and body ground.

Pinouts

Standard:
If the result is not as specified, there may be a malfunction on the wire harness side.

b. Reconnect the T5 amplifier connector, and measure the resistance or voltage of each terminal of the connector.

Pinouts

Standard:
If the result is not as specified, the amplifier may have a malfunction

this donot have t 5 amplifier I have a new computer fron toyota dealer and they check with vin # and this car doesn't have immobilizer system
my customer said he left ignition key on for all night untill battery get out charge and then they install new battery and it not run no more

does it have a security light?

it shouldnt

does it at least crank?

no security light
it does crank but woun't run
look this is funny thing with generic scan tool I don't have codes
but with toyota techstream I get B2799

you getting rpms during cranking?

there is RPMS during crank
no injector pulses
we have week spark
we also check all power in at computer and grounds
no I am auto technician i never have problem like this
but guys know more then me on toyotas I guess

the spark control comes from the computer. the injector pulse comes from the computer. the computer and or wiring is at fault here. period

good luck. i believe we have come to an impasse. i will opt out and let another tech give it a go.

Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 12 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer. I cannot see or hear your vehicle and rely on your input to my questions so I can help you better.I read your problem and conversation with the previous tech. The code your experiencing is for an immobilize. The ECU will not pull that code unless there is one in the system so to cut the chase you should find the module behind the glove box on a cross member and wiring in the right kick panel then after you establish that you can proceed to diagnose the issue.

When is the code detected?- Error in communication between ECM and transponder key ECU assy, and in communication line- Communication ID is different during communication with transponder key ECU

Possible causes- Faulty Key- Faulty transponder key amplifier- Faulty transponder key ECU assembly- transponder key amplifier wire harness

no that it doesn't help me, look this car doesn't have transponder key module it don't have transponder key amplifier, that every thing you told me is for car has immobilizer system this don't have immobilizer system!
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 11 months ago

you still needing help?

I need to find why won't run

I read your notes and replies ,this certainly is strange that the ECU is RECOGNIZING AN IMOBLIZER AND YOU CLAIM THERE ISN'T ONE./the SIMPLEST WAY TO SOLVE THAT IS TO RECORD THE VEHICLES VIN NUMBER AND ALSO THE PART NUMBER ON THE ecu THEN CALL OR GO TO A Toyota DEALER AND THEY CAN CROSS REFERENCE THOSE NUMBERS TO TELL YOU WHAT SHOULD BE IN THERE. then WE CAN CARRY ON, does THAT SOUND LOGICAL? i AM A Toyota MASTER TECH AND SOMETIMES THAT'S WHAT WE HAVE TO DO WHEN REPLACING ecu'S BECAUSE OF SO MANY VARIABLES.

i BELIEVE THE SENSORS ARE WORKING OR YOU WOULD HAVE NO SPARK NOT A WEAK ONE , IF ALL IS OK WITH THE ECU THEN i WOULD SUSPECT THE IGNITER. But check that Ecu for comparability first.

If it is infact reading that code it won't start so we need to determine about that Ecu . What does the key look like?

Probably the reason you think it doesn't have an immobilize is because it is interrogated in the ECU, It may be as simple as the key you have is not programed into the ecu. Do you have the equipment to program it?

I do but have a way to program the system but this automobile dos not have the system included , so how do I do that im willing to pay more if you guy can help me fix this problem. than you

did you actually try to contact Toyota with those numbers I mentioned to verify that as that ECU will not have the capabilities to spit out that code if it was not in the program plain and simple I'm not escalating this for more money just would like to help you solve this.Just answer me why you insists this does not have an immobilizer when the ECU recognizes one?

There is no separate ECU or modual fo it it is built into that ECU

according to Toyota dealer they check my vin number and they say that this car dos not have a security system and they gave me the computer according to that especs but even with the new ecu im having the same problem , what do I do?

Then they obviously gave you the wrong one or they screwed up. if in fact the key has a transponder in it thick black piece and the ECU is spitting out thast code you either have the wrong ECU or key not programed. If you had an ECU for a vehicle without that system it does not have that internal programming, I have never seen that in my 45 years . I will give you a video how to bypass it , the video is for another Toyota but should work on yours give it a try.I don't wish to question you or argue with you as these things can be dam frustrating but again it can't have that code in it's system if it does not have that system in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ_pflu4eBg

thank you for you info but this info does not work in this car I have 2 ecu one new an the one that come out of the car and the 2 ecu give me the same code for immobilizer I do not know if any body know what to do in this case we have all the equipment to working it and the experience but this is a rare problem.

Yes that is strange , but again if the original gave the same code as the replacement it must have a mobilizer in it and What I would do is to try a new key and program it. Also if you have a scanner that can customize it will or should show the amount of keys registered in the system.and just perhaps that's all you need is to program a key.because as long as it has that code it will not start .

how I could reprogramming the key if it no communicate with immobilizer module because it doesn't have one ?

It must comunicate or you wouldn't be able to retrieve that code. Do you have a scanner that has customize feature on it?

If your vehicle does not have that security light then it don't have an immobilizer and they gave you the wrong ECU, but if it does then you do have an immobilizer in the ECU and if you don't have the master key you cannot program it , I found a video that may help .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOp1OaBc58w

my doesn't have security light

then your vehicle does not have an immobilizer and they gave you the wrong ECU because it's trying to communicate with a system that don't exist and that's why it won't start. Question why do you have this vehicle? what happened that it came to your shop. and does it have any history before you got it?

because they left ignition switch on for over night next day battery was dead and they put in new battery and from that moment it won't running no more and is when that code come out from computer B2799 I did check and for me computer went out so I get new computer from dealer and still same problem same code

Well that's new to me then I would try another igniter as it will also hinder the intensity of the spark ,but I'm at a loss why that ECU would pick a code when it's not in that system. I'm going to opt out and see if another has ever run into this before as in my years since 77 with Toyota I have never. Good luck my friend and hope you find your problem.

Toyota Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question will automatically close in 7 days.

You have not rated which tells me you are not happy or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Dan, ASE Certified Technician