Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2010 Prius bought used. XM radio came with the

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Prius bought used. XM radio came with the package, and I liked it, so signed on for several years. About 2 years ago, I started getting spotty reception when in strong signal areas. Driving or standing still, 5 seconds or so of sound, then similr periods of silence. My local dealer said there was nothing to do, but offered to install a new antenna system for about $500 with o guarantees that would solve the problem. Since I drive through areas with nothing on the broadcast band I care to hear, I wonder whether others have had the same problem, and if there is a solution (that is not expensive).
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes tp both
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I do not attempt to fix anything on this vehicle. As I said, the local Toyota mechanic looked at it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- the antenna they are try to install, you can get one installed at a local stereo place for 1/2 price , it will make it 50% better

2- have you tried calling XM radio , they have a reset service , if you call customer service , if you have online account ,log in i think you can initiate the

re - calibration yourself

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did the reset with XM several times. to no avail. You are saying that it is an antenna problem from Toyota? If a known defect, why does the manufacturer r&r it?

I guess manufacturer have initiate a recall , for this to happen so many cases has to occur for them to do that from my understanding on recalls

They have TSB (Technical Service Bulletin on the reception ) but it will nit be a recall ,where it is free, vehicle owner will pay .

Sorry that is all i know on it , that i why going thru dealer will be more expensive and you can get it done outside cheaper

Please let me know if you need anything else

Thank You

Chad Farhat