Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have some check engine codes I need to fix, I do, 2008

Customer Question

I have some check engine codes I need to fix
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: I do
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2008 Toyota Prius
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well it seems the codes are with regards ***** ***** coolant control valve, the sensor that goes with it possibly, and the camshaft sensor. These are all relatively easy fixes I'm just looking online to see if other people have experienced them and it they are signs of larger problems
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Codes are P0011 (over advanced Camshaft), P1116, P1121 (both relating to the coolant control valve and sensor) Car is not covered under extended warranty for these recalled issues. There also was a code I didn't write down relating the accelerator pedal. I haven't noticed any issues but will replace that if it persists after fixing these other issues. Is simply replacing the valve and sensor's all thats needed for these codes? Are they symptomatic of larger issues if so what?
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Anytime we see those two codes we generally see a failed coolant control valve. It's not impossible to do yourself, but it's a little tricky.

Those two codes can affect a number of other systems so I would probably replace the coolant control valve first and then see what codes remain.

The cam code you posted usually triggers when there is a low oil condition or a slight overheat. Again, maybe tackle the control valve first. Do you plan to replace it yourself?