Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My 13 Venza hatch lock is stuck locked but hatch is open.

Customer Question
can't unlock it with any...
my 13 Venza hatch lock is stuck locked but hatch is open. can't unlock it with any of controls inside or outside of car
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: 80000. I did it myself after hearing metal on metal sound when closing hatch. pushed the lock plate closed by mistake
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 13 toyota venza
JA: Are you fixing your Venza yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried using hatch unlock button oon outside of hatch itself and hatch open/close botton on dash
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: wondering it dis/reconnecting battery will reset lock to open position
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
11/7/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Joshua Haynes

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will try to assist you. Are you able to see the latch mechanism that you inadvertently pushed closed?

Toyota Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

Without the locked device (the hatch) being inside of the latch mechanism, it will not be allowed to release. Since you cannot close the hatch in the locked position, you will need to put a small screw driver inside where the striker from the hatch would go in the latch and pull up while another person opens the latch with the button.

Toyota Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

do you have any other questions about my suggestion? If so, please don't hesitate to ask. Otherwise, please take a moment to leave a positive rating using the star system above. Thanks !

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still wouldn't release all the way. Maybe not clear how to insert screwdriver?
Toyota Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

Sure, the best way to explain it is to insert it in sideways and pry up, as if it were the striker on the hatch...you should look at the striker on the hatch door and try to put the screw driver in the same way that the striker would sit in the latch. If you cannot do this, you may need to use a smaller screw driver or a pick.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is the button the one under the "z". The others that raise and lower the hatch buzz but don't move it. The z button doesn't click as it does when not in this situation.
Toyota Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok, so to be clear, the problem is that the hatch itself is open, not the glass on the hatch, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hatch is open. Glass doesn't open on Venza hatch. Latch opened a fraction but not enough to allow it work
Toyota Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

OK, cool deal, i wanted to make sure I was talking about the right thing. And your hatch has a button on the outside that will open it as well as one on the inside, correct?

Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes