Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 93 Camry le 4 cyl that keeps blowing the 30 amp AM2

Customer Question
fuse , I have sincechanged...
I have a 93 Camry le 4 cyl that keeps blowing the 30 amp AM2 fuse , I have sincechanged the coil and capacitor that didn't work . Since then I have unplugged the distributor the igniter and the noise suppressor , one at a time of course with no results. Please help me
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/5/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

Does the fuse blow only when the key is turned to ON or with the key off as well?

Do you have a volt/ohm meter (multimeter).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When the key is in the on position. No I don't have a meter

Ok, disconnect the fuel injectors, there should be a connector that disconnects them all but if not remove all the injector connectors and check again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok , I'll have to do that tomorrow and check back in

I'm thinking the problem may be a shorted injector or wire, it's the only other place the switch provides power to with the key on. Waiting to hear back from you tomorrow then.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I disconnected the main 4 wire clip for the injectors, the fuse did not blow, what would that mean , what do I do next ?

Thanks for the reply, that means the short is between the injectors and the ignition switch or one of the injectors is shorted to ground. To locate a bad or shorted injector put in a good fuse and with the key on plug each injector back one by one and see which one causes the fuse to blow, if it's only one then that's the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure anymore , fuel injection unplugged still , leaving the key in the on position it still blows fuses
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seems to be intermittent, the first time I unplugged the injectors it didn't blow now it does any other ideas
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Originally the car just died while driving it a week ago now I'm just pulling my hair out, not sure what to do

Thanks, ***** ***** fuse panel inside pull the 7.5A ign fuse out and re check it, we have to go one step at a time here, if the fuse still blows disconnect all plugs from the computer, you'll have to remove the glove box it's located just above, it's the first one to the left.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ign fuse is ok , taking out the glove box now

OK keep me posted.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok glove box is out
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ready
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You want me to unplug all 3 connectors?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still blows the fuse

It still blows with all connectors off?

Let me briefly explain my take on this, The 30 A AM2 fuse gets voltage from the battery through the 80A main fuse, then to the ignition switch, everything else is on the other side of the switch, the fuse does not blow unless the key is on and completes the circuits to the other side, You have disconnected them all but the fuse still blows, the power after the switch goes directly to the fuel injectors, before it branches off and connects to the coil/igniter and branches off to the noise filter, that's it there are no other circuits involved coming from the AM2 side of the switch.

The reason I asked to disconnect the computer is because the other wires from the injectors go to the computer. That only leaves the wiring between the switch and these connections which when disconnected still blow the fuse. It could be a short inside the wiring harness, damaged insulation shorting to ground etc, the only way to find which wire it is involved is to check each with an ohm meter to ground, if you think you'd like to pursue this please buy an inexpensive meter from the hardware store for around $20 and we can continue to try to solve this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still having problems, done for the day . I'll have to get back to you, thanks for now

That's ok, just reply when you can.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech