Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Alternator died, killed the battery. I replaced both, now

alternator died, killed the battery...
alternator died, killed the battery. I replaced both, now getting multiple codes. P0420, C1253, C1241, C1223, C1201. I have replaced the drivers and passenger side rear o2, Catalytic converter, all spark plugs. I'm stumped
JA: Has the vehicle been "scoped out"?
Customer: Just read with an actron.. The dealership got it right after the battery fail but only checked for battery and alternator.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2005 4runner sport 6cyl 2wd
JA: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I installed a new alternator and battery. I have replaced the drivers and passenger side rear o2, Catalytic converter, all spark plugs. I'm stumped
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: have erased codes several times and drove for up to 100 miles with no code, then code comes back.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BTW, the car is running better than ever! Instant response, plenty of power, Battery measured voltage is within spec, no missing, and no issues with the breaks. Just Check Engine and VSC light on. P.S. I also installed a new gas cap just in case.
11/2/2016
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, please allow me a moment to look up some information for you. thanks.

C1241 TOYOTA - Low Battery Positive Voltage Possible causes - Low Battery Charge - Faulty Battery - Faulty Charging System - Power source circuit Possible symptoms - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - ABS Warning Light ON

C1253 - ABS Inlet Valve Coil LR Circuit Short To Ground

C1223 - Lamp Brake Warning Output Circuit Fault

C1201 - ABS Inlet Valve Coil LF Circuit Short To Ground

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
P0420 can cause the others to show can't it?

absolutely not. thats for b1s2 oxygen sensor

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what do you suggest I do?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I asked because I have been through 2 sensors for the B1S2 sensor. I am fairly certain that is not a real issue.

you had no codes before replacing the alternator and battery?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think it may have been, can't remember.

ok, well it appears the abs module is fried. and as far as the p0420 you need to check for a clogged catalytic converter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did do a complete rotor and brake pad replacement due to warped rotors about a year earlier. I just replaced the CC, with a new one. Erased codes, drove 120 miles then light came on again.

did you replace the oxygen sensor with an aftermarket one or one from the dealer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried Bosch, then back to Denso.Maybe there is a nicked wire on the ABS sensors on the left side, do you think that is worth checking.Also, is there a way to evaluate the ABS module??

get an oem sensor. or the code will never go away.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was a Denso oem from autozone, that's why I bought it after buying the Bosch. Are you saying buy only from the dealership?

yes. only from dealer.

as far as the abs module. its the coils inside of the abs pump motor. theres no repair. only replacement

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. What about the Module check, is there a way to evaluate the module??

the coils inside the motor are shorted to ground

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, thanks. Guess i'm done for now.

you're welcome. please accept the answer and leave me a 5 star rating if you were satisfied with my assistance. its the only way i get credit for my help. i will leave this open after you rate me if you'd like. thanks. have a good one.

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

thank you

david craig
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic