Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a Toyota 2001, I replaced the battery and Alternator.

Customer Question
Today while driving the cars...
I have a Toyota 2001, I replaced the battery and Alternator. Today while driving the cars windshield wipers, turn signal, and central air system all stopped working. I turned off the car, they all worked but now the engine light is on. I'm not sure how to diagnose the issue
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: I would have checked the fuses, but after the car was restarted all of the lost functionality came back, wipers, lights
JA: What is the model of your '01 Toyota?
Customer: I believe the LE, its a 4 cylinder
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am fixing the vehicle myself. The initial issue was my car wouldn't restart. I thought is was the battery and replaced it, my car wouldn't start again (this happened a few times). I went ahead and replaced the alternator. MY car seems to start fine now, I checked the voltage across the battery, it read 12.5V when the car is off and 14.5V when the car is on so it tells me the alternator is working fine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't thiml so think*
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
10/31/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

Is the check engine light still on now or did it go off too? Is this a camry or corolla?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The check engine light wasn't on initially when I had the issues, when I turned off the car and then turned it back on, the electrical issues went away but the check engine light is on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is a camry

Thanks, I'm just curious why the light may be on, this usually happens when the engine computer has detected a problem. can you have the computer scanned for diagnostic codes? Most of the large autoparts stores like O Reilly or Autozone can help you with that and do so at no charge(except calif). After you have the code number information let me know and I'll be glad to help figure this out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have any ideas based on what has happened so far?

Not sure if the electrical issue is in anyway related to the check engine light being on, re check the alternator connections, the large white wire terminal on top of the alternator and the electrical plug on the back, move some of the relays and fuses around in the fuse box and see if you can replicate the problem, make sure the battery terminals are tight and the ground is good. Make sure the 100 A alternator fuse is in tight and check the AM! and AM2 fuses as well, what happened sounds like there may be a bad contact in circuit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi ted so I had it checked and the check engine light code is P0500, which is speed sensor A. Does this shed any light on the problem. Also the drive belt is squeaky especially when I press the gas. I used belt conditioner on it and it went away, but not sure if this information also helps

I don't think a speed sensor malfunction can cause this electrical issue you were getting before unless there is some sort of wire damage involving the speed sensor and other electrical components, the speed sensor is mounted on top of the transmission case, check to see if there is any damage to the wires, if you live in an area where rodents may be prevalent they like to chew on wires and insulation.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech