Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

O'Reilly's sells the replacement passenger side cv-axle that

Customer Question
ends at the bolted connection...
O'Reilly's sells the replacement passenger side cv-axle that ends at the bolted connection to the intermediate bearing for 1996 Camry (in other words not the whole axle assembly all the way to the transaxle). What is the procedure/how hard is it to break and re-make this bolted connection for the outer cv-axle to the intermediate bearing? My 1996 Camry Wagon has a split outer boot passenger side and is clicking on turns.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The boot is split and a lot of grease is gone. I purchased the car last week. I read on-line that if the clicking noise is heard while turning left then its a right side issue. I do not need any help with diagnosing further. The cv axle replacement is only $52 at O'Reilly's. If someone could tell me how to break/re-make the bolted inner cv joint connection to the intermediate bearing that would be a great help, since all the on-line videos show only how to replace the entire assembly all the way to the transaxle.
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. If no one is able to help me with the question above then I will purchase a full axle assembly from Autozone and follow the procedure in the Haynes Repair manual for the car and the on-line video guidance. Yes, I will fix it myself. I have extensive do-it-yourself auto repair experience and lots of air tools. I willing to tackle just about any job as long as it doesn't involve engine or transmission removal. I usually take my cars to the shop for timing belt replacements. Just about everything else I try to do myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
10/31/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Camry.

The process is not that difficult is you pull the whole axle out but are you trying to do this with the axle in the car?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was wondering if it could be done in the car so I could avoid the whole process of pulling the intermediate bearing from its carrier/mount. It sounds like, from what you have already said, that the whole axle has to be pulled. In that case, there's no point in replacing only a portion of the axle, I'll just replace the whole axle assembly. Lots of people on-line have posted about their difficulties with getting this intermediate bearing out. The goal of my question was to see if the effort and frustration of dealing with this bearing could be avoided. My goal was not to see if I could save a few bucks on parts by buying only part of the axle assembly.

I think the hard will be finding the whole axle, I can't remember ever doing the whole thing. Hmmm....

This link here (no, its not the exact same as yours but scroll down towards the bottom and you can see how they separate) will let you see what is involved with detaching the axle shaft. They are held together by bolts and 1/2 moon plates. They are either 8 or 10mm allen head bolts. It can be done in the car but is much easier on the bench. Yes, removing the whole axle can be tough but with enough wd40, a prybar and an air hammer, it'll come out.

Please ask more of me if needed.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician